- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- Main Year: 0
Th SM Archive holds one plan of the timbers over the portico (Priv.Corr.IX.J.46).
The Chapel survives intact today - even the pulpit (as divided by Soane) is still in situ. The north-east Light Horse Court wing, however, was partially destroyed in 1918 (by a Zeppelin) and completely destroyed in 1945 by a bomb. It was subsequently rebuilt, in the style of Wren. None of the Soane interiors survive.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Surveys, alterations and repairs to Wren's Chapel, the north wing of the Light Horse Court and the Octagon porch portico, December 1817 - April 1835 (12)
- Survey drawings of Wren's Chapel, one dated December 1817 (3)
- Record drawings and design for alterations to apartments in the north wing of the Light Horse Court, one dated 30 September 1816 (2)
- Designs for alterations to apartments in the north wing of the Light Horse Court, 31 January 1820 - 7 April 1835 (4)
- Designs for repairs to Wren's portico, 1818 (3)