- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
Alexander Hood (1726-1814), 1st Viscount Bridport, was a naval officer and politician. Upon his death, his wife Maria Sophia commissioned Soane to design a monument in the parish church of Cricket St Thomas, Somerset. Lord and Lady Bridport had known John and Eliza Soane for more than three decades, Soane having been repeatedly commissioned to alter and add to their house, Cricket Lodge, from 1786 (q.v.), as well as act as Lord Bridport's London agent for his London properties (arranging fire insurance, leases and repairs). The two families had a lasting friendship, with Lady Bridport frequently requesting for Mrs Soane to accompany Soane on his visits to Cricket Lodge. The monument was Soane's last major work at Cricket St Thomas.
Lord Bridport began his career in 1741 as a captain's servant. He gained a succession of appointments and was eventually promoted tosecond-in-command in 1797 and Vice-Admiral in 1797. Hood was a Member of Parliament from 1784 to 1796, first representing Bridgewater and then Buckingham. In 1794 he was created Baron Bridport in the Irish peerage. At the end of his naval career, from 1797 to 1800, Bridport played a central role in the Napoleonic Wars commanding the Channel Fleet against the French. Upon his retirement in 1800 he was created 1st Viscount Bridport in the peerage of Great Britain. There are at least three portraits, including Reynolds's in the Painted Hall at Greenwich.
Lord Bridport died 2 May 1814 and Soane's first designs for his monument are dated 9 December of that year. Alternative designs for the monument were sent to Lady Bridport for her approval from 1815 to 1816 and were amended according to her wishes. The generous variety and adaptation of Soane's designs is reflective of his good friendship with the Lord and Lady Bridport. At first, in January 1815, she found Soane's designs rather plain and requested more naval ornament (Priv. Corr. XIII.H.24). Designs then changedfrom a simple monumental tablet to a sarcophagus-shaped panel below an acroterion and with variant naval ornaments (drawings 3 to 7). In response to these designs, Lady Bridport wrotein May 1815 that she didnot find them suitable for a church (Priv. Corr. XIII.H.28). Subsequent drawings incorporate an aedicule and sarcophagus composition. In March 1816, Lady Bridport offeredSoane assistance with the family heraldry, sending him a few examples of the family seal for his information(Priv. Corr. XIII.H.26). Soane's subsequent designs incorporate her suggestions, having the Hood achievement of arms. The built monument has a sarcophagus-like base supporting an aedicule that frames a tablet. The Hood achievement of arms is in front of the strigillated sarcophagus, and a Cornish chough (the family crest) caps the pedimented top.
Lord Bridport never acquired the heroic or dashing reputation of contemporaries such as Lord Collingwood, Nelson, or indeed his elder brother Samuel, Viscount Hood; in keeping with Bridport's reputation, the monument does not resemble those patriotic monuments erected in St Paul's Cathedral. Soane experimented with various naval trophies but these were never executed. The monument was kept modest, as the inscription reads:
For His Bravery, for his Abilities / For his Achievements in his Profession / For his Attachment to his King, and his Country, / Consult the annals of the British Navy, / Where they are written in Indelible Characters. // Let this Monument record his private virtues. / He was a sincere and pious Christian, / A faithful and Affectionate Husband, / A Warm and Steady Friend to Merit / Benevolent to the Brave and Virtuous in Distress: / Kind to his Domestics and Dependents, / The Patron of unprotected Youth, / The Poor Man's Benefactor, the Seamens' Friend, / Beloved, Revered, and Deplored by All.
The monument was placed in St Thomas's Church, close to Cricket Lodge. An undated bill states that the monument cost Lady Bridport £310:14:4 (Priv. Corr. XIII.H.32). The bill shows that Soane charged only £15, about a 5% commission.
R. Morris, 'Hood, Alexander', Oxford dictionary of national biography online (accessed July 2011); G. Darley, John Soane: an accidental Romantic, 1999, pp. 79-80; G. Waterfield ed, Soane and Death, 1994, pp. 102-5.
Madeleine Helmer, 2011
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Cricket St Thomas, Somerset: St Thomas's Church: monument to Admiral Hood, 1st Viscount Bridport for Lady Bridport, 1814-1816 (24)
- Preliminary alternative designs for a monumental tablet
- Presentation drawings showing six alternative designs for a monumental tablet, 9 December 1814 (2)
- Preliminary design for a monumental tablet, 1815
- Design and preliminary alternative design for a monument, with a sarcophagus and scrolled acroterion, one dated 8 May 1815 (4)
- Presentation drawing for an aedicule framing an urn over a sarcophagus
- Preliminary design and presentation drawings for alternative designs of an aedicule framing a tablet over a sarcophagus, January 1816 (3)
- Alternative designs for an aedicule and sarcophagus composition, including the Hood heraldry, one dated 1 February 1816 (4)
- Three alternative designs for an aedicule framing an urn over a sarcophagus, 2 and 6 February 1816 (3)
- Presentation drawings showing three alternative designs as in drawings 16 to 18, 6 February 1816 (3)
- Presentation drawing showing three designs as in drawings 17 to 22, datable to after March 1816
- Working drawing and a presentation drawing for the monument, datable to 1816 (2)