Soane's office account book 'Ledger B' has an entry under Thomas Peckham Phipps Esqr for travel time and travel expenses (£16.16.0) of a visit to Little Green; the distance was 'aboout 70 Miles'. Drawings were sent in September and November and on 23 December 1795 Soane sent in a bill that came to £44.2.0. This included 6 days 'making the ... designs' at three guineas a day and 'Clerks time in making fair Drawings 8 guinease'. With travel expenses the bill came to £44.2.0 and within three days, Soane actually received £50.0.0.
Literature. P.du Prey, Sir John Soane, 1985, in series of 'Catalogues of architectural drawings in the Victoria and Albert Museum', catalogue 83, p.48; P.Dean, Sir John Soane andthe country estate, 1999, p.187.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Little Green, Sussex: unexecuted alternative designs for alterations and additions, and for a new house, for Thomas P.Phipps, 1795-6 (9)
-  Alternative designs for a new house: plans of ground and first floors
-  Design No1 for alterations and addditions: ground floor plan
-  Design No1 for alterations and additions: first floor plan
-  Design No2 for alterations and additions: ground floor plan
-  Design No2 for alterations and addition: first floor plan
-  Design No3 for alterations and additions: first floor plan
-  Design for alterations and additions: ground plan
-  Record design for a new house: plan and elevation
-  Record alternative design for a new house: plan and elevation