- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
The succession to the throne of George IV on 29 January 1820 at last provided Soane with the opportunity to make his mark on Westminster. Catalogued here are Soane’s survey, design, working and exhibition drawings for alterations and additions to the House of Lords. Drawings made for the House of Commons between 1825 and 1833 are catalogued separately (q.v.). The drawings for Soane’s new Law Courts adjoining Westminster Hall (1821-9) have yet to be catalogued.
In July 1820 Soane was directed to make designs for temporary galleries to increase the capacity of the House of Lords for the trial of Queen Caroline, George IV’s estranged wife. Following M. H. Port’s approach (The History of the King’s Works, VI, p. 520), Soane’s subsequent work at the House of Lords can be divided into four stages. The first stage (1822-3) includes the rebuilding of the Royal Entrance with a curved, Gothic arcade in Old Palace Yard leading to the Scala Regia (Royal Staircase). The second stage (1823-4) relates to the Royal Gallery and committee rooms that were built in place of the old House of Lords. In the third stage (1824-5) new committee rooms – later turned into a library and repository for papers – were built between the Scala Regia and the Painted Chamber. And in the final stage (1825-7), further committee rooms were added to the east of the Royal Gallery, towards the river. In February and March 1828 Soane made a further set of designs to ‘render the entrances into the House of Lords etc. more commodious’. Alternatives in a Gothic and Neoclassical style were proposed but this new entrance was never executed.
Soane’s additions to the House of Lords survived the fire of 1834 largely unscathed, and the Royal Entrance, Scala Regia and Royal Gallery continued to be used as the royal processional route to the House of Lords until 1851. In the following year they were demolished as part of the rebuilding of the Palace of Westminster by Charles Barry (1795-1860). Catalogued here in chronological order are 182 drawings made between 1817 and 1828. These include four drawings made for exhibition at the Royal Academy (SM 16/7/4, 16/7/5, P285, XP16). As the works took place over the course of 11 years, many different pupils and assistants worked on the drawings in the Soane Office. Preparatory sketches and presentation drawings were made by Soane’s long-time collaborator, Joseph Michael Gandy (1771-1843), working on a freelance basis.
During the course of the works at Westminster Soane acquired a good deal of architectural salvage from the medieval palace, most of which survives today in the Monk’s Yard at the rear of 14 Lincoln’s Inn Fields. In addition, several plaster casts and copies of ornaments from Westminster Hall, St Stephen’s Chapel and the old House of Lords, and an original wooden patera from the ceiling of the Painted Chamber, are displayed in the Soane Museum.
Tom Drysdale, August 2014
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of London: House of Lords, Palace of Westminster: alterations and additions, 1817-28 (220)
- Copy of a design for alterations to the House of Lords by James Wyatt, c.1808
- Rough design for major alterations and additions to the Palace of Westminster, 1 April 1817
- Alterations to the House of Lords to increase accommodation for the trial of Queen Caroline, 1820 (16)
- Royal Entrance and Scala Regia, 1822-23 (68)
- Royal Gallery and Committee Rooms, 1823-24 (66)
- New committee rooms and library, 1824-27 (56)
- Designs for a new entrance to the House of Lords, unexecuted, 1828 (12)