Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Monuments and mausolea
- Boconnoc, Cornwall: monument to Richard Lytelton for 1st Baron Camelford, c. 1786 (1)
- Colne Park, Essex: monument to Michael Hills for Philip Hills, 1790 (1)
- Cricket St Thomas, Somerset: St Thomas's Church: monument to Mary Hood for Admiral Hood, c. 1786 (1)
- Cricket St Thomas, Somerset: St Thomas's Church: monument to Admiral Hood, 1st Viscount Bridport for Lady Bridport, 1814-1816 (24)
- Downhill, County Derry, Northern Ireland: mausoleum for Lord George Hervey, 2nd Earl of Bristol for 4th Earl of Bristol, 1800 (4)
- Felbridge, Surrey: monument to Edward and Julia Evelyn for James Evelyn, 1785 (5)
- London: Southwark Cathedral: designs drawn by Soane for a memorial tablet to Abraham Newland, 1808 (3)
- London: St Giles in the Fields burial ground (now St Pancras Gardens), Camden: Soane monument [the 'Soane Tomb'], 1816, 1828 (47)
- London: St Mary Abbots burial ground, Church Street, Kensington: tomb for Miss Elizabeth Johnston for 1st Earl of Bellamont, July 1784 (5)
- London: St Stephen's Church, Coleman Street, City of London: monument to Claude Bosanquet for Samuel Bosanquet, 1786 (4)