- Other Years: 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790
In the 1760s, Peter Giffard's son Thomas Giffard senior employed Capability Brown to re-design the park; the village was swept away, a 66-acre lake with bridge designed by James Paine c.1770 was introduced. There also seems to have been an unexecuted commission from the office of Robert and James Adam for building an entirely new house and alternatively re-modelling the old one. There are six Adam drawings for Chillington in the Soane Museum. These are: south and north elevations and ground floor plan dated 1 July 1772 for a new house (SM volume 44/47-9); undated ground and first floor plans for alterations and additions retaining the 1724 building (SM volume 44/45-6). A sketch design in Robert Adam's hand for a table (SM volume 5/37) seems not to have been executed.
In 1785, the younger Thomas Giffard, now 21 years old, gave Soane his first commission for the remodelling of a substantial country house. Giffard's marriage in 1788 may have speeded up the building programme.
In his Plans, elevations and sections of buildings erected in the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk ... 1788 (1789) Soane devoted plates 12-17 to Chillington. Plate 12 is a plan of the ground floor 'with the alterations and additions' and Soane notes that the 'Saloon was intended for the chapel...'. Plate 13 is a plan of the first floor (there is none among the surviving drawings). Plate 14 is a perspective of the east 'Entrance front, as executed' that corresponds with drawing 9. Plate 15 is an elevation for the entrance front 'as proposed': two storeys and eleven bays wide with a four-column Ionic portico it differs from the built design by having a central dome, pairs of Ionic pilasters on the end bays and a continuous roofline without the attics at each end that, as executed, related to the three-storey 1724 building to the south. It may represent a design for an entirely new house. Plate 16 is a 'Section of the Great Room or Saloon as proposed', that is, not as executed. 'Plate 17 is a plan and elevation of an intended bridge', which was not built and for which there are no surviving drawings.
Thirteen 'journeys' (site visits) by Soane are recorded between 6 September 1785 and 24 January 1790 in the office 'Journal'. On 29 September 1792, Soane sent in his bill (Ledger A) and was paid in full on 18 September 1794 the sum of £526.6.0.
Soane exhibited at the Royal Academy 'Elevation of bridge for a gentleman in Staffordshire' in 1786. The following year he exhibited 'The great room at Chillington built in the year 1786' and 'Entrance front to Chillington erected in the year 1786'.
Literature. A. Oswald, 'Chillington Hall, Staffordshire' in Country Life, 13, 20 and 28 February 1948; D. Stroud, Sir John Soane, architect, 2nd ed., 1996, p.130; P.Dean, Sir John Soane and the country estate, 1999, pp.40-53; P. Dean, 'Chillington Hall, Staffordshire', Country Life, 30 September, 1999
Typed selective transcript of extracts from 'Journal No 1' relating to Chillington, compiled by Christopher Woodward, 1998, in SM green information files.
Jill Lever, December 2009
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Chillington Hall, Staffordshire: (executed) alterations and additions, (unexecuted) chapel, for Thomas Giffard, 1785-1790 (25)
- Survey drawing of existing house, 1785
- Design and survey drawing, 1786-7
- Unexecuted alternative designs by William Heaton, 1786-7 (3)
- Office copies of working drawings, 1786 and ? later (2)
- Presentation drawings, more or less as executed, July 1787 (2)
- Record copies of external details, May-June 1786 and later (4)
- Record copies of variant designs for a chapel, 7 July 1786 (2)
- Preliminary design for the Great Hall or saloon, working drawings for the entrance hall, dressing room and bedchamber corridor, 1788-9 (4)
- Working drawings for roof to the Great Hall/saloon and for attic dormers, 1790 (3)
- Working drawings for a crane and capstan, and for a hoist (3)