A later design for the Foreign Office appears on a drawing (SM 49/5/25) dated 15 April 1826. This is a plan of Soane's work in Whitehall that includes the State Paper Office, the Board of Trade and Privy Council Offices and alterations to the Old Foreign Office. In this last, Soane regularises the scheme by removing the northern end of Fludyer's old house so that it is more or less parallel with the houses on Fludyer Street.
J. M. Crook and M. H. Port (eds), The History of the King's Works: Vol. VI: 1782-1851, 1973, pp. 562-66; S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 6: Westminster, 2003, p. 263.
Jill Lever / Tom Drysdale, August 2013
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of London: Old Foreign Office, Downing Street: designs for alterations, 1825 (24)
- Set of survey plans of the existing building, 8, 22 and 25 July 1825 (5)
- Preliminary designs for alterations, 20-25 July 1825 (3)
- Design for alterations, ? presented on 29 July, 1825 (3)
- Design for alterations, dated 30 July and 3 October 1825 (4)
- Design for part of the front, August 1825 (2)
- Designs for the centre and west (right-hand) side of the Foreign Office, 8, 11 August 1825 (4)
- Design for a back stair (2)
- Design for alterations to the (?) eating room