Soane's drawing of the entrance hall includes the porte-cochère in the design, although this part of the drawing has been left unfinished. The existing building today has a porte-cochère, much like drawing 138.
The cross section in drawing 141 is actually two sections, showing, to the left, a half-section through the centre of the hall and, to the right, a half-section nearer the front of the hall.
Coloured wash is included to show the stained glass in the round-headed windows on either side of the hall. The window has a pattern of coloured glass surrounded by a Greek fret pattern.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural,
design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for
scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to
preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and
it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance
masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries
and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and
George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings
in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early
work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of
his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of
Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and
fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing