labelled: No 29, (pencil) No 29, Chanry / Court, Kings Bench, Lobby, House of / Commons, Communication Gallery, Court of Requests, Painted / Chamber, Black Rod, Robing, Lobby, House of Lords, Princes / Chamber, Kings Privy / Chamber / 30 by 30, 40 by 25 / Kings / Presence, Black Rod / Gent / Usher, 187 by 40, Clerks, Serjeant / at / Arms, Mr Speak / Closet, 75 by 50, Lobby, Lobby, 50 x 25 / Lobby, 75 by 37.6 / H of Lords, P of Wales, Ld Chan, Ld Treas, Bishops, Lord / Privy / Seal, Lord / Great / Chamb, Earl / Mars, 43 by 32 / Committee, 70 by 35 / Conferences, Court, Waiting / room, Housekeeper, 43 by 32 / Committee, 28 by 32 / Committee, 40 by 25 / Mr Speaker, Committee / 30 by 20, The River Thames, (pencil) River Thames, Abt (?)16 feet
Signed and dated
- Original dated February 1738/9
Medium and dimensions
Pen and sepia wash, pricked for transfer on laid paper (534 x 363)
This drawing is a nineteenth-century copy of TNA, WORK 29/3358 (29) (Salmon, fig. 13.30). Although this version is undated, the original is inscribed 'February 1738/9'. At the centre of the design for the new Parliament House is a basilical atrium with a peristyle and apses north and south. The rooms in the southern part of the building include those for the King, the Prince of Wales, the Lord Chancellor, the bishops, the Lord Privy Seal, the Lord Great Chamberlain, the earls-marshal, Black Rod and the gentlemen ushers.
(Salmon, pp. 340 & 343)
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation