- Robert and James Adam office drawings
Number 7 Royal Terrace was the eighth house in the terrace, located to the west of the centre of the block, overlooking the River Thames.
This house was an Adelphi lottery prize, won by Sir Thomas Mills on 31 August 1774, committing to a ground rent of £34.13.0. Sir Thomas kept the house until 1781. In 1782-1806 it was the home of John Cator of Beckenham, Kent; in 1881 John Chitty, a barrister; in 1817-46 William Hawes (1785-1846), a musician and composer; and in 1880-90 it was occupied by the Royal Literary Fund and the Society of Schoolmasters. From 1890 until their demolition numbers 6 and 7 Royal Terrace were occupied by the Savage Club.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Number 7, Royal Terrace
- Preliminary design for the ceiling for the front drawing room, 1770, executed with minor alterations at number 4 Royal Terrace (1)
- Design for the chimneypiece for the front drawing room, c1770-71; it is not known if this design was executed (1)
- Design for the ceiling for the back drawing room, c1770; it is not known if this design was executed (1)
- Design for the chimneypiece for the back drawing room, c1770-71; it is not known if this design was executed (1)