bar scale of 1/5 inch to 10 feet
as above, labelled: Westminster Bridge, The River Thames, Bridge Street, New Palace Yard, Westminster Hall, Old Palace Yard, Westminster Abbey Church, St Margaret's / Church, Parliament Street, Cannon Row, Whitehall, Downing Street, Fludyer Street, King Street, Great George Street, Duke Street
Signed and dated
- 13 April 1824
C.J.R. Copied April 13nd (sic) 1824
Medium and dimensions
Pen, sepia, yellow ochre and light blue washes within a triple-ruled black and sepia wash border on wove paper with one fold mark (728 x 1291)
Charles James Richardson (1806 - 1871)
Pupil February 1824 - January 1827.
James Whatman Turkey Mill Kent 1824
This drawing relates to the work of the Westminster Improvements Commission, which totalled over £250,000 between 1799-1815. The area around Westminster Abbey, Westminster Hall and the Westminster Sessions House was opened up; slums to the north of the Abbey were cleared, making way for Garden Square, St Margaret's Street was widened and post-medieval additions to the historic structures were removed. This drawing shows a proposal for widening King Street from the Sessions House to Downing Street.
Tom Drysdale, October 2014
J. M. Crook and M. H. Port, The History of the King's Works, VI, 1973, pp. 515-6.
S. Sawyer, "Delusions of national grandeur...", Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, 13, 2003, pp. 237-50.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation