bar scale of 7/20 inch to 10 feet
labelled: The River Thames, Proposed Committee Rooms, Committee Room, Area (3 times), Ante Room, New Gallery, The Painted Chamber, Committee Room, Lobby, Arch Bishops / Robing Room, Bishops Robing / Room, Scala Regia, Carriageway added after / the building was far / advanced. See Treasury Order, His Majesty's / Robing Room, The House of / Lords, Mr Ley, The House of Commons, The Speaker's House, Speaker's House, Westminster Hall, The Law Courts and some dimensions given
Signed and dated
- 20 June 1825
 June 1825
Medium and dimensions
Pen, sepia, pink and blue washes, pricked for transfer with multi-ruled and black wash border on wove paper (494 x 668)
Sean Sawyer dates this drawing to 20 June 1825 (Soane at Westminster, PhD thesis, Columbia University, p. 733 n. 2146). Soane made several designs for new committee rooms in June 1825, at the time of which one committee room was already under construction between the Painted Chamber, Royal Gallery and Scala Regia (see SM 51/2/6-7). The new committee rooms were to be located on the east side of the Royal Gallery and the existing offices built in 1824. In this design the new building contains three committee rooms - two large and one small - and links the existing offices to the Speaker's House (at the bottom left of the drawing). According to Soane's Day Books, this plan was made "agreeably to their Lordships directions". The Lords' Committee had directed alterations to be made to the plan of 18 June (SM 51/3/29).
"Mr Ley" is John Henry Ley, who served the House of Commons for 49 years, first as Deputy Clerk and from 1820 to 1850 as Clerk.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation