Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  `Codex Coner’: Volume of architectural and decorative drawings formerly attributed to Andreas Coner and now considered to be by two hands, called the `Codex Coner’, early 16th-C & 17th-C draughtsmen, 165 pp. The 16th-C drawings originally formed two sketchbooks, remounted in an Italian parchment binding of the 18th C, the spine of which is insc: Architect/Civilis/Andrea/Coneri/Antiqua/Monume/Rome (460 x 330). The drawings were in Cassiano dal Pozzo's paper museum and the drawings in the later hand can be attributed to this period. The paper inlays, green pigmentation on the edges of the folios as well as the vellum bindings are characteristic of Dal Pozzo's collection. In 1762 James Adam, on behalf of George III, negotiated the sale of the prints and drawings from Cardinal Albani's Library which contained Dal Pozzo's collection, and the collection went to the Royal Library, Windsor. This volume remained in the Adam collection and was acquired by Soane at the Adam Sale in May 1818. The following catalogue is an abbreviated text taken from T. Ashby, `Sixteenth-century Drawings of Roman Buildings attributed to Andreas Coner’ in Papers of the British School at Rome, Vol. II, 1904 (where all the drawings are reproduced). After they were re-mounted the drawings were renumbered individually; it is these numbers which were adopted by Ashby for his catalogue and which have been followed in this concise catalogue. For the authorship of the Codex Coner see Tilmann Buddensieg, `Bernardo della Volpaia und Giovanni Francesco da Sangallo: Der Autor des Codex Coner und seine Stellung im Sangallos-Kries’, in Romisches Jahrbuch fiir Kunstgeschichte, 15 (1975): pp 89 ff
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
Image Not Yet Available

Reference number

Vol 115

Purpose

`Codex Coner’: Volume of architectural and decorative drawings formerly attributed to Andreas Coner and now considered to be by two hands, called the `Codex Coner’, early 16th-C & 17th-C draughtsmen, 165 pp. The 16th-C drawings originally formed two sketchbooks, remounted in an Italian parchment binding of the 18th C, the spine of which is insc: Architect/Civilis/Andrea/Coneri/Antiqua/Monume/Rome (460 x 330). The drawings were in Cassiano dal Pozzo's paper museum and the drawings in the later hand can be attributed to this period. The paper inlays, green pigmentation on the edges of the folios as well as the vellum bindings are characteristic of Dal Pozzo's collection. In 1762 James Adam, on behalf of George III, negotiated the sale of the prints and drawings from Cardinal Albani's Library which contained Dal Pozzo's collection, and the collection went to the Royal Library, Windsor. This volume remained in the Adam collection and was acquired by Soane at the Adam Sale in May 1818. The following catalogue is an abbreviated text taken from T. Ashby, `Sixteenth-century Drawings of Roman Buildings attributed to Andreas Coner’ in Papers of the British School at Rome, Vol. II, 1904 (where all the drawings are reproduced). After they were re-mounted the drawings were renumbered individually; it is these numbers which were adopted by Ashby for his catalogue and which have been followed in this concise catalogue. For the authorship of the Codex Coner see Tilmann Buddensieg, `Bernardo della Volpaia und Giovanni Francesco da Sangallo: Der Autor des Codex Coner und seine Stellung im Sangallos-Kries’, in Romisches Jahrbuch fiir Kunstgeschichte, 15 (1975): pp 89 ff

Inscribed

spine insc: Architec/Civilis/Andrea/Coneri/Antiqua/Monume/Rome

Medium and dimensions

The 16th-C drawings originally formed two sketchbooks, remounted in an Italian parchment binding of the 18th C (460 x 330)

Notes

For a full catalogue entry see Lynda Fairbairn, Italian Renaissance Drawings from the Collection of Sir John Soane's Museum, London 1998

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).