- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- 8 July 1801
(Copy) Lincolns Inn Fields July 8th 1801
Pupil January 1799 - 1804.
The layout in this drawing is the same as in drawing . The main differences are in the entrance front, which now has a central portico, with the walls on either side projecting and containing recesses. The entrance leads to a vestibule with a cross vault (previously shown as a shallow dome) followed by five ascending steps and a square hall with a cross vault. The plan of the ground floor is very similar to that of Pitzhanger (P. Guillery, op. cit., p. 186).
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).