The drawings, completed by 11 May 1796, were billed with the addition of two site visits to the sum of £78.15.0. In fact the bill was not paid until Agust 1811 after Soane had written to Austwick presuming that the bill 'had escaped Mr Austwick's memory'. In fact, Soane's designs as shown in drawings  to  were not executed. There is one record drawing  that shows a design for the front that differs from the earlier ones. This perspective is for a three-bay house of two storeys over a basement with the front area guarded by railings that reach a sentry box-like door on either side. Dorothy Stround (1910-1997) when Inspectress of the Soane Museum, made notes and took a photograph of the house (64 Friar Street) in 1959 before it was demolished in 1961. The photograph shows a brick-built house that is of two storeys and five bays and does not resemble drawing  except for the sentry box-like garden doors flanking the building. These with railings attributed to Soane were listed Grade II by English Heritage in March 1957.
Literature. G.Darley, John Soane, 1999, pp.45; G.Tyack, S.Bradley and N. Pevsner, Berkshire, 2010, p.446 ' ... attributed to Soane (drawings at the Soane Museum, but showing a different design)'; D.Stroud, information files at the Soane Museum
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Reading, Berkshire: Friar Street, house for Lancelot Austwick, 1796 (32)
- Designs made March 1796 (12)
- Designs made April 1796 (4)
- Working drawings made May 1796 (7)
- Working drawings for the timber structures made May 1796 (5)
- Record drawings made later