'The small brick building, which subsequently became a Salvation Army headquarters and then a drill hall for the Hampshire Carabineers [and then a carpet warehouse] was designed by Soane in 1795 for Mr Richards, a schoolmaster of some distinction who at one time had numbered Lord Liverpool and George Canning among his pupils. A new road later deprived the building of its original entrance lobby ... Apart from this, the structure remains much as Soane designed it.' (D.Stroud, Sir John Soane, architect, 1996, p.175).
Listed by English Heritage as grade 2*, the current address is 23 Hyde Street, Winchester, Hampshire.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural,
design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for
scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to
preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and
it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance
masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries
and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and
George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings
in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early
work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of
his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of
Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and
fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing