In addition to the two drawings catalogued here, there are several other significant drawings relating to Hampton Court in the Soane Museum's collections, not the least among which are those contained in the so-called Hampton Court Album (SM vol. 110) which represents the majority of the surviving drawings for Sir Christopher Wren's work as well as designs by Grinling Gibbons. The Hampton Court Album has been catalogued by Dr Gordon Higgott (see English Baroque Drawings: architecture, sculpture and garden design). Other drawings including plans by Charles Bridgeman (SM 36/3/1-6) have not yet been catalogued.
J. M. Crook and M. H. Port, 'Hampton Court Palace' in idem (eds), The History of the King's Works , VI, 1973, pp. 332-33; S. Thurley, Hampton Court: A Social and Architectural History, 2003.
Tom Drysdale, February 2015
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Richmond, Surrey: Hampton Court Palace: survey drawings, 1826 (2)
-  Survey of the screen in the Great Hall
-  Survey of the gates leading to the Wilderness, 22 March 1826