Ludovic Grant demolished the Campbell house and rebuilt Moy House on the same site in 1752 to designs by Collen Williamson (1727-1802). Williamson's house is composed of a three-storey, five-bay central block, with lower, three-storey wings, arranged in a U-shape. In 1759 Robert Adam made proposals for replacing the central block, but these were rejected in favour of designs by his older brother, John Adam (1721-92), who made internal alterations to the existing central block in 1763-5.
The house passed into the possession of various members of the Grant family, until it was sold in 1922. It was placed on the British Listed Buildings register (category A) in 1971, but was largely gutted by fire in 1995, and remains a ruin.
See also: Lady Innes
A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, Index pp. 23, 73; 'Moy House and Gatepiers, Dyke And Moy', www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk
Frances Sands, 2012
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).