Woodeaton was built in 1775 for John Weyland (1744–1825). He probably came to know Soane through his uncle Mark Weyland, who served as Governor to the Bank of England from 1789-91, the year after Soane was appointed architect to the Bank. Soane first visited Woodeaton on 14 March 1790 and from April to June he made designs for the new east office wing (to replace an older wing). He sent working drawings for this building to his clerk of works, Mr Turner, on 28 June 1790 and building works were carried out that summer.
Woodeaton is today a school, located five miles north-east of Oxford. Soane's offices and portico survive, as well as some of his alterations within the house.
Literature: N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1975, pp. 853-4; P. Dean, Sir John Soane and the country estate, 1999, pp. 181-2.
Madeleine Helmer, 2012
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Woodeaton Manor, Oxfordshire: office wing and alterations to the house, 1790 (12)
- Presentation drawing of a preliminary design for the offices, 7 April 1790
- Working drawings for the offices, 8 May 1790 (4)
- Working drawings for the offices, probably as executed, June 1790 (6)
- Survey drawing of the house and preliminary design for a portico, c. 1791