Hatch House was started by Sir Wyndham in 1762, and completed by his uncle, Sir Edward, in 1772, all to designs by Robert Adam. As Sir Edward retained Robert Adam as his architect at Hatch House, he also doubtless commissioned this monument on the death of his nephew. Sir Edward was described by Pevsner and Newman as 'tight with his money', and this may explain the simplicity of the monument. It is an elegant tablet, executed to Adam's design, albeit with minor alterations to the details, and sculpted in 1765 by William Tyler RA (c1728-1801) at a cost of £38-6s-6d. The monument remains in situ in the Lady Chapel of St John the Baptist's church in Mersham.
See also: Hatch House (now Mersham-le-Hatch), Mersham, Kent
A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, pp. 17, 78; N. Pevsner, and J. Newman, The buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, 1976, pp. 423-25; J. Ingamells, A dictionary of British and Irish travellers in Italy: 1701-1800, 1997, p. 581; D. King, The complete works of Robert & James Adam and unbuilt Adam, 2001, Volume I, pp. 363, 365, 367; A.N. Newman, ‘Knatchbull Wyndham, Sir Wyndham, 6th Bt. (1737-63), of Mersham Hatch, Kent', History of Parliament online; 'Mersham Le Hatch, Mersham', www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk
Frances Sands, 2012
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of St John the Baptist's (Lady Chapel), Mersham, Kent: Monument to Sir Wyndham Knatchbull-Wyndham, 6th Baronet, probably commissioned by Sir Edward Knatchbull, 7th Baronet, 1763, executed (2)
- Finished drawing and record drawing for a funerary monument, 1763, executed with minor alterations (2)