Verney's only son, John, succeeded his uncle in 1752 as the 14th Lord Willoughby de Broke, and when Abigail died in 1760 the 14th Lord commissioned a double monument, designed by Adam, to commemorate his parents. The design includes a coat of arms, divided party per pale with cross details from the Willoughby de Broke arms impaled with the Harley arms, and surmounted by an antelope, which is the Willoughby de Broke supporter. It is not known by whom the monument was sculpted, although it may have been either by Isaac Gossett (1713-99) who undertook unidentified and undated work for the 14th Lord, or Peter Scheemakers (1691-1781) who undertook unidentified work for which the 14th Lord made a payment of £123-5s. in 1762.
The monument survives in the chapel at Compton Verney, which was built by Lancellot (Capability) Brown (1716-83), in 1772. Although the monument predates the chapel, various earlier monuments have been re-erected inside.
See also: Compton Verney, Warwickshire
A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume I, pp. 223, 226, Volume II, Index p. 7; D. King, The complete works of Robert & James Adam and unbuilt Adam, 2001, Volume II, p. 261; N. Pevsner, and Alexandra Wedgewood, The buildings of England: Warwickshire, 2003, pp. 240-41
Frances Sands 2011
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Compton Verney chapel, Warwickshire: Monument to the Hon. John Verney, commissioned by the 14th Lord Willoughby de Broke, c1760, executed (2)
- Preliminary design and finished drawing for a funerary monument for Richard Verney, 13th Lord Willoughby de Broke, c1758-72, unexecuted (2)