Drawing 2 has a more fully worked out plan for the reredos that is now of three rather than five bays. But essentially it is a design for the communion rail with trefoil-headed openings alternating with 'pedestals'.
The chancel is shown on the drawings as 28 feet wide and 50 feet long; overall, the church is about 160 feet long. It was built from 1319 to 1359; the chancel in c. 1335-40. The elevation shows a three-light window with intersecting tracery which was replaced in 1825 by a larger window filled with German stained glass of c. 1535.
Soane's Bill Book 1 (p.167) has entries for Hingham church dated between 14 April 1785 and 31 December 1788. These show that as well as a reredos (termed 'altar' by Soane) and communion rail, he also designed a pulpit and gravestones. Commencing with a survey, Soane made about eight visits in all and sent more than 15 design and working drawings on various occasions. A payment 'in full' of £20 is recorded in the last entry of this Bill Book.
Jill Lever, April 2011
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Hingham, Norfolk: Church of St Andrew: reredos and communion rail for the Revd Philip Woodhouse, 1785 (2)
-  Preliminary design for reredos, 1785
-  Record copy of working drawing for communion rail, 1785