- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- Main Year: 0
On 7 May 1789, Soane proposed raising the kerb on Princes Street and installing new ironwork. In November 1791 presentation designs were shown to the Building Committee for adorning the wall with terminal pavilions at both ends. In 1792 building works were carried out on the wall, probably for the construction of the new gate but not for the terminal pavilions.
In April 1793 the Building Committee approved Soane's design for new buildings behind the wall, including a Drawing Office, Accountants Office and a Governor's Room with a corridor to the existing Committee Rooms. The offices were probably constructed in 1793 (see phase 2, sub-scheme 2).
For plans of the offices behind the Princes Street screen wall, see SM 9/3/3 and 4, drawings 3 and 4 in scheme 2:2. A later plan showing the rooms as part of the north-east extension, in 1803, is in SM 9/2/16, drawing 103 in 2:7.
Literature: E. Marston Acres, The Bank of England from within, London, 1931. pp. 220, 387-91; D. Abramson, Money's architecture: the building of the Bank of England, 1731-1833, Doctoral thesis for the Department of Fine Arts, Harvard University, 1993, pp. 315-316, 336-337.
Madeleine Helmer, 2010
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Princes Street screen wall and offices, 1790-91 (9)
- Design for the Princes Street entrance, 10 July 1790
- Design for the screen wall on Princes street, 30 October 1790
- Variant designs for the terminal pavilions of the screen wall, November 1791 (3)
- Design for the Accountants Drawing Office
- Design and record drawing for the Discount Office (2)
- Survey of the Accountants Office and the Discount Office