- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- Main Year: 0
Generally, the ground floor is most focused on in terms of plans, consisting of the Library, Breakfast Room and small Drawing Room – although the function or allotment of these rooms may vary from plan to plan, and occasionally a small room such as ‘dressing room’ is indicated. The basement is shown in drawings 106 to 109 and 135 as a series of service rooms including a kitchen, butler’s pantry and housekeeper’s room (although these all shift in position as well). It is known from later descriptions of Pitzhanger, however, that the majority of the basement was in fact taken up by a ‘Monk’s Dining Room’ – a precursor to the ‘Monk’s Parlour’ at Lincoln’s Inn Fields. Along with this room, there would eventually be a room for plaster casts and sculptures within Soane’s collection – many objects were supposedly ‘found’ in the ruins adjacent to the house.
In terms of exterior design, the lawn front has a conservatory added and a variety of alternative ornaments. The materials are fixed - yellow London stock brick with Coade stone dressings - by this point. The entrance front has Coade stone figurative sculptures surmounting Ionic columns which are based on the Erechtheion Caryatids in Athens. Ptolemy Dean points out that the columned entrance front’s ‘effect was to convey a tremendous sense of scale in a relatively modest-sized building’. (p.93) The perspectives and designs for the entrance facade also show a variety of relief sculpture including the wreathed eagle relief and, on the later designs, Medici lion roundels.
Also of importance are the garden layout designs. In some designs a melon grove is mentioned along with kitchen gardens and a walnut tree (as well as many other labelled trees and plants etc). John Haverfield must have had an input in most of these designs, even if the hand is most often Soane.
Finally, there are also six surveys relating to the northern strip of land which Soane wished to purchase in order to regularise his land, dating from around August 1800 to May 1802.
Virginia Brilliant's TS Pitzhanger Catalogue has been instumental to the creation of this catalogue.
Matilda Burn 2010
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of More fully realised designs for Pitzhanger Manor, December 1800 - October 1801 (50)
- Working drawings for Pitzhanger Manor, 24 December 1800 - 20 January 1801 (4)
- Working drawings for Pitzhanger Manor with Dance wing, 14 and 17 January 1801 (2)
- Design and presentation drawings for the exterior, January 20 and 14 1801
- Working drawings for the basement offices, 21 January - 17 July 1801 (4)
- Designs and preliminary working drawings for the end elevation, and sections, 21 January - 15 April 1801 (7)
- Designs for the outbuildings and park, 9 March 1801, c. March 1801 (2)
- Further designs and working drawings for entrance, 17 March - 16 July 1801 (8)
- Further designs for lawn front, close to executed design, 1 April - 17 May 1801 (5)
- Preliminary working drawings for the floor layout, c. April - May 1801 (4)
- Survey drawings related to the acquisition of additional land, 4 August 1801 - 6 January 1803 (6)
- Final design and preliminary presentation drawings for the exterior largely as executed, 22 May - 16 August 1802 (4)