The prospect of several thousand pounds for a new church appears to have been sufficient to encourage Hawksmoor to revive his first enlargement scheme of 1698-99. In that scheme, the church was to be in the park, on the main axis of the hospital, at the south end of a central esplanade. In [7/1], he proposes a new church in front of the Queen's House. The presence of a church in this position is indicated by the inscription Chappell Court on a sketch plan for the east infirmary range,[7/4]. The only evidence we have for the position of the church is on Hawksmoor's much later master-plan drawing for The Royall Hospitall at Greenwich 1728 N.H. (RIBA Catalogue, Hawksmoor /2; SA 70/4; former E5/9; see Hart 2002, fig. 302). Beneath a pasted overlay bearing the plan of a square domed chapel is a long rectangular chapel set west to east, with porticoes at both ends and four piers surrounded by columns along the sides.
The eight-bay columnar church in [7/1] appears to be an early version of this rectangular church design. It has a west-facing entrance (towards Greenwich town), and a north-facing pedimented portico (towards the hospital). The infirmary ranges are drawn in detail on two plans, [7/4] and [7/6]. These plans are developed versions of the infirmary ranges in the long west elevation, [7/2], and the east elevation of the west infirmary range, [7/3], both of which are datable c.1700. Another sketch study explores the design of the turret-like pavilions on the outer elevations of the base wings and the infirmary ranges [7/5].
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of  Revised first enlargement scheme, 1711
- [7/1] Sketch design for a rectangular chapel with 60-feet-high Doric columns, the principal long elevation having an eight-column pedimented portico, approached by steps; the side (west) elevation having two pairs of fluted columns carrying an arched and pedimented attic.
- [7/2] Finished design for the long, west elevation, showing the proposed new infirmary range in the Queen's Garden and revisions to the existing ranges
- [7/3] Finished design for the east elevation of the west infirmary range of the proposed new south court
- [7/4] Preparatory design for the Infirmary on the east side of the proposed new Chapell Court, in the area of the Queen's Garden
- [7/5] Study design for the lower and upper 'terminating pavilions' on the outer elevations of the base wing and infirmary ranges
- [7/6] Finished design for the east infirmary range in the proposed new south (or Chapel) Court