The initial pen drawing on this sheet is preparatory for the engraved plan of the three-block scheme, 100 copies of which were printed in September 1699 (Wren Society, VI, p. 83). Hawksmoor was finishing this engraved plan in June that year. However, his revisions to the drawing are at least six months earlier, as they predate the three-part wooden model, completed by January 1699. The surviving central part of this model, corresponding to the grant of land in 1694, is displayed at the Old Royal Naval College Visitor Centre at Greenwich (see Bold 2000, fig. 142). Missing since the eighteenth century are the west part showing the infirmary and the south part showing extensions into the park, including the monumental church.
In his pen-and-wash revisions to the inital pen drawing in [6/1], Hawksmoor changed the three-block courts to U-shaped courts by deleting all but the end portions of the central blocks and joining these to the link blocks each side to create new side dormitories whose central pavilions now become the entrances to the upper courts from the west and east sides.
Other revisions show the central portico of the West Dormitory conceived as the entry to the hospital as a whole. A large western esplanade, centred on this portico, is approached from the west across a broad, tree-lined avenue, framed on the north and south sides by the infirmary and service courtyards. This was a radical reworking of the entire hospital plan. It created a whole new area of development on the western side and shifted the centre of gravity southwards from the two riverside courts to the two upper courts.
In the surviving part of the model, this concept was developed further by giving the central pavilions of the new side dormitories giant-order porticoes and by the addition of officers' pavilions at the centres of the colonnades on the inner sides of the courts. Never built, these pavilions would have articulated a cross-route through the hospital on the west-east axis.
The creation of giant order porticoes on the cross-axis of the upper courts was contemporary with the reorientation of the entrance to the great hall from the north side, facing King Charles II Building, to the east side, facing the avenue. Drawing [6/2] incorporates Hawksmoor's unexecuted scheme for a giant-order portico on the east front of the hall. Drawing [6/3] is a previously unpublished plan which shows the genesis of the design of the West Dormitory. It indicates that the range was initially designed to be entered from the courtyard side, between pairs of giant-order pilasters. Drawings [6/4] to [6/7] are part-designs for elements of the revised executed design.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of  Revised executed design and first enlargement scheme, 1698-1711
- [6/1] Block plan of Greenwich Hospital in the context of the royal park, east and west Greenwich and the entire royal park to the south, showing the three-block scheme of 1698-99, amended to an open courtyard plan, and with enlargements to the west, for an infirmary and office courtyard, and to the south with two long 'infirmary' ranges on the east and west sides in front of the Queen's House, and with a large domed church in the 'esplanade' of the park
- [6/2] Design for the Great Hall, 1698, incorporating revisions (probably 1699) for the design of the front and side porticoes, the dome and the front steps
- [6/3] Preliminary design for the plan of the west range, or West Dormitory, of King William's Court, c.1698-99, with part plan of west end of South Dormitory
- [6/4] Preparatory design for the dome lantern, 1700-01, with sketched details of cornice and capital profiles, and structural elements of the cupola and lantern
- [6/5] Large-scale working design (unexecuted) for the perron and steps of the north-facing portico of the Great Hall, c.1698-1700, including the door to the basement.
- [6/6] Design for revisions to the base wing of King Charles II Building, c.1705-6, incorporating pavilions with balustraded attics and a new frontage to the central pedimented entrance pavilion.
- [6/7] Preliminary design for an officers' pavilion and gate lodge, probably c.1698-99