- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
One of the drawings copied by Soane was of Giulio Romano's elevation for the west front. This copy found its way to the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A 3436.236 reproduced P.du Prey, John Soane: the making of an architect, 1982, fig. 8.18. Catalogued in P.du Prey, Sir John Soane ,1985, in series of 'Catalogues of architectural drawings in the Victoria and Albert Museum', catalogue 1.
Literature. du Prey, op.cit.,1982, pp.164-7: M. Faietti and M.Medica (eds),'La Basilica incompiuta. Progetti antichi per la facciata di San Petronio a Bologna'. Catalogue of an exhibition, Museo Civico Medievale, Bologna, 2001
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Italy: Bologna: Church of San Petronio: copies of unexecuted designs for the west facade by Peruzzi, Vignola and Palladio and for completion by Rainaldi, copied 29 September 1779 (8)
- Copy of a design made in 1522-3 by Baldassare Peruzzi (1481-1536)
- Copies of a design made in 1545 by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola (1507-73) (2)
- Copies of designs made in 1578 by Andrea Palladio (1508-80), two copied 29 September 1779 (3)
- Copies of variant designs for the completion of the church, made in 1626 by Girolamo Rainaldi (1570-1655) (2)