Warren lived on Dover Street, London, where he died in 1797, and it was presumably for this house that he commissioned Robert Adam in 1775-76 to make designs for interior decoration. The surviving drawings show designs for a ceiling, frieze and mirror frame for the drawing room, and lamps for the eating room and staircase. None of these designs are known to have been executed.
A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, Index pp. 58, 90; E. Harris, The furniture of Robert Adam, 1963, Index p. 59; D. King, The complete works of Robert & James Adam and unbuilt Adam, 2001, Volume II, p. 179; Oxford dictionary of national biography online: 'Warren, Richard (1731-97)'
Frances Sands, 2013
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Dover Street, number unknown, London: unexecuted designs for interior decoration for Dr Richard Warren, 1775-76 (8)
- Finished drawing, and record drawing for a ceiling for the drawing room, and preliminary design for a variant of the same ceiling, 1775, unexecuted (3)
- Record drawing for a frieze, ND, unexecuted (1)
- Alternative design and finished drawing for a mirror frame between the doors in the drawing room, 1776, unexecuted (2)
- Rough preliminary design for a girandole for the eating room, c1775-76, unexecuted (1)
- Preliminary design for a lamp for the staircase, c1775-76, unexecuted (1)