A year later, in 1766, Hercules Langford Rowley's wife Elizabeth was created Viscountess Langford, a title which was inherited by their son, also Hercules Langford Rowley, 2nd Viscount. The 2nd Viscount died in 1796 without an heir, and the Summerhill estate passed to his sister Jane, who had married Clotworthy Taylor, Earl of Bective.
Summerhill House was burnt by the Irish Republican Army in 1921, and its gutted shell was eventually demolished in 1970.
See also: Langford House, Mary Street, Dublin, and Headfort House, County Meath.
A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, index pp. 29, 86; J. Lees-Milne, The age of Adam, 1947, p. 165; J. Harris, 'C.R. Cockerell's 'Icnographica Domestica' ', Architectural History 14, 1971, p. 26; D. King, The complete works of Robert & James Adam and unbuilt Adam, 2001, Volume II, p. 121
Frances Sands, 2013
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).