(140 recto, 141, 142) bar scales of 1/12 inch to 1 foot (140 verso) bar scale of 1/3 inch to 1 foot
140 as above, labelled: Downing Street, Line of Old Building (twice), Area (3 times), Hall, Passage, Staircase (3 times), Entrance Hall, Principal Staircase, Clerk (4 times), Waiting / Room (twice), Stable, Court Yard, Coach Houses and / Stabling, Mr Lushington's / Stable, The Chancellor / of the Exchequer's / Stable, The Chancellor / of the Exchequer's / Coach House, Store Rooms &c, Treasury Passage, Passage leading to the Park, Stable Yard, Private Houses, Part of the Chancellor of the / Exchequer's House (twice)
141 as above, labelled: Downing Street, Line of the Old Buildings (twice), Barristers / Room / 23.0 by 11.0, Staircase, Robing / Room / 11.0 by 8.6, Mr Greville / 23.0 by 17.0, 11'6'' by 17'0'', Mr Buller / 23'9'' by 17'0'', Passage of Communication, Waiting Room / 13.9 by 20.0, Lords Retiring / Room / 13.0 by 16.0, Staircase, Committee Room / 30.0 by 21.9, The Lord Presidents / Room / 19'0'' by 21'9'', The / Principal Staircase, Water / Closet (twice), Lobby, Ante Room / 22.0 by 16.0, Ch[imne]y, Council Chamber / 34'9'' by 40'0'', Mr Lushington's Stable & Coach Houses, The Chancellor of the / Exchequer's Stables & / Coach Houses, Passage leading to the Treasury &c, Staircase, Passage leading to the Park &c, Stable Yard, Part of the Chancellor of the Exchequer's House
142 as above, labelled: Downing Street, The Line of the Old Building, Line of the Old Building, Barristers Room, Mr Greville, Mr Buller, Staircase, The Principal / Staircase, The Lord / President's Room / 19'0'' by 21'9'', Committee Room / 30'0'' by 21'9'', Staircase, Ante Room, Council Chamber / 34'9'' by 40'0'', Area, Treasury Passage, Stable Yard, Passage leading to the Park
Signed and dated
- (140) Lincolns Inn Fields / February 1825 and 12 March 1825 (141, 142) Lincolns Inn Fields / March 1825
Medium and dimensions
(140) Pen, pink, yellow, blue and grey washes, (141, 142) pen, pink, yellow ochre, grey and sepia washes, (140-142) pricked for transfer on wove paper (734 x 530, 738 x 526, 722 x 526)
(140) Charles James Richardson (1809-71, pupil and assistant 1824-1837) (141) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) (142) David Mocatta (1806-82, pupil 1821-27)
(140-142) Smith & Allnutt 1820
At the end of February or beginning of March 1825 a change was made to the design of the new Privy Council Offices. At the eastern end of Downing Street, instead of having three bays, from drawing 140 onwards there are five bays divided by six evenly-spaced columns. Drawings 140 and 141 form a pair. The front to Downing Street is 194 feet wide. As indicated by the drawings, extending the building so far into Downing Street would have required the demolition of several private houses on the north side of the street.
On both drawings 141 and 142 the Board of Trade Offices are coloured in a darker shade of yellow wash, probably to delineate that part of the building from the Privy Council Offices. The layout of the Board of Trade Offices is the same on both drawings.
The verso of drawing 140 has an unfinished elevation of a triumphal arch drawn to scale. This was, no doubt, the monument that Soane designed to link the new buildings on either side of Downing Street (q.v. drawing 133).
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation