Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Survey drawing of the new houses and the Old Jewry Meeting House and designs for counting houses to be built behind the new houses, December 1809-January 1810 (5)
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
image Image 2 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
image Image 3 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
image Image 4 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
image Image 5 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
  • image Image 1 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
  • image Image 2 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
  • image Image 3 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
  • image Image 4 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12
  • image Image 5 for SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12

Reference number

SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12

Purpose

Survey drawing of the new houses and the Old Jewry Meeting House and designs for counting houses to be built behind the new houses, December 1809-January 1810 (5)

Aspect

66 Ground floor plan of new houses and Old Jewry Meeting House 67 General Plan of the Five Houses in Princes Street and / Lothbury shewing the proposed new Offices at the back thereof and / the appropriation of the remainder of the property recently purchased by / the Bank in the Old Jewry 68 Plan shewing the proposed arrangement of the Counting Houses &c / at the back of the Houses in Princes Street submitted to the Committee / of building at the Bank & approved 17h Jany 1810 69 General Plan of the Five Houses in Princes Street & Lothbury &c / shewing the proposed appropriation of the Ground behind the same / recently purchased by the Bank &c 70 Plan showing Design for the proposed New Offices behind the Houses forming "New Bank Buildings"

Scale

(66-69) bar scales of 1/7 inch to 1 foot (70) bar scale of 1/4 inch to 1 foot

Inscribed

66 labelled: Princes Street, No 1, No 2, No 3, No 4, No 5, Lothbury, Chapel, Meeting House Court, Alms Houses, Christie, Messrs Mellow & Co, Old Jewry 67 as above, labelled: The Bank of England, Design No 1, Princes Street, No 1, No 2, No 3, No 4, No 5, Lothbury, Counting House &c, Old Jewry
68 as above, labelled: Present The Governor / Mr Deputy Govr / Mr Thornton / Mr Harman / Mr -, Iron, Area, 8.0, (pencil) 17 Jan / Govr / Mr ---- (illegible) / Mr ---- (illegible) / Mr Thornton / Mr Harman 69 as above, labelled: The Bank of England, Design No 2, Princes Street, No 1, No 2, No 3, No 4, No 5, Lothbury, Court (4 times), Lobby, Safe, Passage, Strong / Closet, Water / Closet, Passage, Water / Closet, Strong / Closet, Lobby, Counting House / to / No 2 / One Story only, Counting House / to / No 3 / One Story only, Counting House / to / No 4 / One Story only, Open Passage to different Accomptg Houses &c, Warehouse, Meeting House Court, Almshouses / Rent £40 / Repairs 200£, B, Rent 180 / Repairs / at least £800, A, Rent £40 / Repairs £200, Mr Wright, Mr Norris, Old Jewry, Rent / 40 - 200 / 180 800 / 40 200 / 260 1200 and (pencil) some dimensions given 70 as above, labelled: The Bank of England, No 1, No 2, No 3, No 4

Signed and dated

  • (66, 67, 69) John Soane Arch / LIF 12 Decr 1809 (68) as above ('approved 17h Jany 1810') (70) 1810

Medium and dimensions

(66-69) Pen, sepia, pink, yellow, yellow ochre, blue and olive green washes, pricked for transfer (66, 67, 69) with a black wash border on wove paper (780 x 592, 772 x 598, 752 x 590, 778 x 592), 67 and 68 affixed (70) pen, sepia, pink and blue washes, pricked for transfer on wove paper with three fold marks (535 x 686)

Hand

(66-70) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) and (66-69) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10)

Watermark

(66, 67, 69) 1808 (68) J Whatman 1808 (70) SH 1806

Notes

The Bank of England acquired the property behind the new houses in November 1809 (see drawings 46-47). It was proposed that the new land be used for counting houses - offices for business and accounting - and the remaining part of the Meeting House converted into a warehouse. Drawing 67, the approved design (of which drawing 68 is a copy) shows extensions to Nos 1-3 and a new passage behind the buildings to Meeting House Court. Coloured washes are used to differentiate the properties. The houses behind the warehouse would become the site of the National Debt Redemption Office when it was built in 1817-18 (q.v.). The pink line made over drawing 69 might relate to a proposal to widen Lothbury, although this proposal was made much later in 1825 (see drawings 114 and 115).

Although drawing 70 is dated '1810' it is probably an earlier design. The date was added later by George Bailey when he was curator of the Soane Museum (1837-60).

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).