Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  [1-5] Early survey drawings and designs, 13-15 October 1817 (5)
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
image Image 2 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
image Image 3 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
image Image 4 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
image Image 5 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
  • image Image 1 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
  • image Image 2 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
  • image Image 3 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
  • image Image 4 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53
  • image Image 5 for SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53

Reference number

SM (1) 48/1/56 (2) 48/1/2 (3) 48/1/47 (4) 48/2/32 (5) 48/1/53

Purpose

[1-5] Early survey drawings and designs, 13-15 October 1817 (5)

Aspect

1 Outline survey Plan of the Ground Floor 2 Survey Plan of the first floor 3 Ground floor plan 4 Front elevation, plan of front wall and wall section (design A) with minor pencil additions by Soane 5 Ground floor plan by Soane

Scale

(1-5) bar scales of 3½ inches to 10 feet

Inscribed

1 as above, Warehouse in the occupation of Messrs Mello, Pead & Co and labelled: Desk (twice), Staircase &c and Court 2 as above, to end of / the Warehouse and dimensions given 3 The Old Jewry, Warehouse occupied by Messrs Mello, Pead & Co, Passage leading to London Dock House &c, rooms labelled: Messrs Mello, Pead & Co, Passage leading into the House, Open Area, Mr Higham's Room, Strong Closet, Closet for Hats &c, Iron Safe, Staircase, Lobby to Offices &c , China Closet, Strong Closet, Court, Water Closet / for / Clerks, Sink, Double Desk, Clerks Office / No 1, Clerks Office / No 2, Desk (twice), Counter, Hall for the Public, Messengers, Desk, chair and (Soane) some dimensions given 5 The Old Jewry, Mess: Mello Pead & Co, Passage leading to London Dock House &c &c, Warehouse occupied by Mess: Mello Pead & Co, rooms labelled as drawing 2 with the addition of (right-hand side) Steps leading to the Kitchen & ^ domestic offices and Lobby / 2dEnt[rance]

Signed and dated

(1) Lincolns Inn Fields / October 1817 (2) Bank 13 October 1817 (3) Lincolns Inn Fields October 14 1817 (4) Lincolns Inn Fields / Octr 14: 1817 (5) LFI / 15 Oct.r 1817

Medium and dimensions

(1) Pen, sepia and pale blue washes, pricked for transfer within double ruled and black wash border on wove paper (519 x 730) (2) pen and sepia wash on tracing paper (520 x 322) (3) pen, sepia, pale blue and light red washes, pencil calculations within triple ruled and black wash border on wove paper (621 x 846) (4) pen and sepia washes, shaded, within double ruled and sepia wash border on wove paper (627 x 849) (5) pen, brown pen, sepia, warm sepia and pale blue washes, pricked through for transfer on wove paper (535 x 689)

Hand

(1) Foxhall or Parke (2) Soane (3-4) Edward Foxhall (1793-1862, pupil 1812-1821) and Henry Parke (1790-1835, pupil 1814-1820) (5) Soane (3-4 from Day Book)

Watermark

(3, 5) J Whatman 1816

Notes

The site for the new National Debt Redemption Office in the City of London was on Old Jewry to the west and Meeting House Court to the south. Almost a third of the site (including a 'court') is labelled as belonging to the merchant company - 'Messrs Mello, Pead & Co.' who had also an adjacent warehouse.
Drawings 2 to 5 are the earliest surviving dated drawings for the National Debt Redemption Office. Drawing 1 gives the whole of the site in outline with only the merchant's house detailed.
The plan form suggests that drawing 2 may be a survey of the first floor of the Mello, Pead & Co. building. Ground floor plans 3 and 5 show the proposals for the new building and vary only with the changes made a day later by Soane to the messengers' room and the addition of a lobby and an external stair (bottom right-hand side).
The first of many alternative and variant front elevations, drawing 4 (design A) is six bays wide with the addition of a narrow, almost windowless bay on the left that provides a minor entrance.
The plan of the front wall corresponds with drawing 3. Four storeys high with round-arched windows (except for flanking pedimented windows on the first floor and the square attic windows) the two centre bays of the four-bay attic storey with those of the second floor are recessed. The ground floor has rock-faced rustication, the first floor banded rustication with the four centre windows separated by a motif repeated three times that might be described as a 'spinning top'. The earliest use of this uncoventional detail was in Soane's Royal Academy student design for a Triumphal Bridge, 1776 and it occurs again in some of his designs for the Bank of England. Soane also makes use of panel pilasters crowned with antefixae that have (rough pencil) amendments.

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).