- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- (10-11) LIF / April 1828 (12) Norwich April 12 1828
Drawings 12 and 13 both have the bank's entrance in Davey Place, the latter fronted by a two columned porch. Both drawings have three new windows looking on to Castle Street. The inevitable re-configuration of bank rooms is notable in drawing 13 where the old 'iron warehouse' becomes the banking hall and book room with three large windows and a back door giving on to the internal yard. The property eventually selected was in Queen Street (q.v.).
The verso of drawing 12 has a part-plan for an unidentified building. The verso of drawing 13 has part of a plan for a monument to HRH the Duke of York dated 16 September 1827; Soane's scheme for this sepulchral church in Horse Guards Parade was never executed.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).