Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Survey drawings and rough design for alterations to Mrs Davey's premises in Davey Place (4)
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
image Image 2 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
image Image 3 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
image Image 4 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
image Image 5 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
image Image 6 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
  • image Image 1 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
  • image Image 2 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
  • image Image 3 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
  • image Image 4 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
  • image Image 5 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5
  • image Image 6 for SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5

Reference number

SM (22) 56/11/7 (23) 56/11/27 (24) 56/11/6 (25) 56/11/5

Purpose

Survey drawings and rough design for alterations to Mrs Davey's premises in Davey Place (4)

Aspect

22 Survey plan of ground floor with front and side elevations 23 Rough survey Plan of the One Pair Floor 24 Survey plan with pencilled alterations and (verso, pencil) rough plan of ? alterations 25 Perspective Sketch of Mrs Davey's Premises looking from the Castle Hill down Davey Place

Scale

(22-24) 1/8 inch to 1 foot

Inscribed

22 (feint pencil, some illegible) East, Brick / Yellow washed, Red Brick, Tiles in bad state, Wood Shutters, labelled: Stone, Wood, Kitchen / Paved with Stone, Parlor, Warehouse, Wood, Entrance, Living Room, area, stone, 1 Room over / Stone pavd, Yard, encircled F and some dimensions given 23 as above, labelled: Sleepg Rm / Walls plastered / -- (illegible) Skirts, Sitting Rm, The floor much / sunk, Sleeping Rm, and some dimensions given; (verso): some dimensions given 24 Plan of the Ground Floor of the Premises in Davey Place, Norwich / belonging to Mrs Davey / The Parts tinted red, are in the occupation / of Mr Yates, Premises in the occupation of Mr Tomlinson Iron Merchant &c, Road leading to the Castle Hill, the Cattle Market &c, Area, Ground stated to belong to Mrs Davey's Estate, Steps, leading through Davey Place to the Market Place, Ground stated to belong to Mrs Davey's Estate, Iron Railings, Paving over Vaults, Area, Kitchen, Staircase, Parlour, House occupied by Mrs Irving, Warehouse occupied by Mr Yates, Store Room, Pantry &c, Scullery, Passage, Kitchen, Arched / (very Damp), Entrance, Door, Yard paved with pebbles (the Ground falls considerably towards Gates A, Wooden Gates A, Stable, Coach houses / these & the Lofts over used as Warehouses for Earthernware Slabs &c, Wood Buildings / used as / Workshops &c, by a Coach Maker, Cottages, A narrow Street, and dimensions given, (added later in pencil) Bank, Porter. Books, Agent, F / 3 and (pencil) D and encircled F 25 as above and (pencil) D and encircled F

Medium and dimensions

(22) Pen and pencil, pricked for transfer on stout wove paper with four fold marks (374 x 540) (23) pencil, pricked for transfer on laid secretary paper with three fold marks (314 x 455) (24) pen, black, grey, pink and blue washes, pricked for transfer within double-ruled border on wove paper (533 x 375) (25) pen, burnt Sienna, burnt umber and blue-grey washes within double-ruled border on wove paper (252 x 346)

Hand

(22-25) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

Watermark

(22) Smith & Allnutt 1823 (23) John Fellows 1805 (sic) and post horn with crowned cartouche and JF below

Notes

The drawings show a rather ad hoc arrangment of houses, warehouse, stables and coach houses with a large yard between that reflects the character of an area with a number of coaching inns. The yard of the King's Head Inn had been widened to create Davey Place, a pedestrian way between the market and the Back of the Inns. It was built in 1812 by Jonathan Davey (1760-1814) of Eaton (Old) Hall, Norwich. A plaque in Davey Place commemorates his achievement. The Mrs Davey referred to on the drawings was presumably Jonathan Davey's widow. The pencilled suggestions on drawing 24 show that part of the existing yard and stables at the rear were considered as a possible site for the branch bank. As with the other properties that were surveyed, the idea was rejected in favour of premises in Queen Street (q.v.).

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).