Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Survey plan and perspective with printed particulars of Mr Makin's premises in Park Row and New Bond Street North, May 1827 (3)
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22
image Image 2 for SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22
image Image 3 for SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22
  • image Image 1 for SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22
  • image Image 2 for SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22
  • image Image 3 for SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22

Reference number

SM (21) 56/7/15 (22) 56/7/14 (23) 56/7/22


Survey plan and perspective with printed particulars of Mr Makin's premises in Park Row and New Bond Street North, May 1827 (3)


21 Plan of the Ground Floor of Mr Makin's Premises, Leeds 22 Perspective Sketch of Mr Makins Premises, Park Row and New Bond Street / North 23 Conditions and restrictions / to be observed by / Purchasers of Land from Messrs. Thomas and Charles Makins; in front of Park-Row, Leeds


(21) to a scale of 1/6 inch to 1 foot


21 as above, New Bond Street / North, Park Row, Contains / Basement / Ground Floor / One Pair / Two Pair / & Rooms in Roof, Yard belonging to MessrsSimpson, Warehouses &c Belonging to Messrs Simpson Wool Merchants, D / 2., Vacant Ground / to be built on at / some future period, West, labelled: Door, Entrance Passage to Houses No 1 & No 2 / Brick Arch supporting / Chy breast to top of House, No II / Mr Hargrave Paperhanger, Shop 10' 11" high, Shop Window, Mahogany Sashes, Door, Paved with Stone, Staircase, Wood Steps, Stone Chy (3 times), Wall One Brick in Thickness, No III / Mr Petty Surgeon, Yard No III, Low Fence Wall, Dusthole &c (twice), Low Wall (twice), Yard No II, Yard No I, Steps from Basement, Arch, Stone, Step, Door, No 1 / Mr Hay Chemist &c / Shop, Mahogany Shop Window, external Wall one Brick in thickness and dimensions give 22 as above, Slate, Stone (twice) and a few dimensions given 23 as above and see Notes below

Signed and dated

  • (21) 7th May 1827 (23) published Leeds, January 13th, 1823

Medium and dimensions

(21) Pen, sepia. green, yellow, brown madder, pink and blue washes within single ruled border on stout wove paper (537 x 367) (22) pen, sepia, brown madder, raw umber and blue washes on wove paper (200 x 278) (23) printed by Edward Baines, printer, Leeds on secretary paper with three fold marks (327 x 410)


(21, 22) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant, 1806-37, curator 1837-60)


Mr Makin's three-storey premises with basement and attics consists of two shops, a surgery and three yards on the corner of Park Row and New Bond Street, next to a site 'to be built on at some future date'. The building is 60 feet deep with a 50 feet frontage.
The prospectus relates to vacant sites in front of Park Row and has nine conditions and restrictions. Clauses I to III cover a 'common sewer', fencing and paving. Clause IV begins 'Every Building, to be erected, in the two new main Streets, of Twelve and Fourteen Yards wide, or fronting towards Park Row, South Parade, or East Parade, to be fronted with Stone of Tool'd Ashler, or red dressed Bricks ... and to be not less than Three Stories, and not less than Thirty Feet high from the ground floor'. Clause VI states that 'No Building to be erected to be made use of as or for a Dye-house, Slaughter-house, Distillery or Common Brewhouse ... or any other noisome or dangerous trade or calling'. Clauses VII and VIII deal with the title deeds and IX ends with 'Each Purchaser to pay a Deposit of 10 per cent. on signing the Contract.'

A Plan of 'an Estate situate in Leeds' published in April 1819 (see drawing 30) includes New Bond Street and Park Row with a site on the corner of New Bond Street and Russell Street marked as 'belonging to Mr Makin to be sold'.

P. Leach and N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding Leeds, Bradford and the North, 2009, p. 438, write of Park Row as the 'medieval N-S route between Park Lane ... and the Manor House ... developed as the main thoroughfare of the late C18 Park Estate development, of the buildings of that period there is no trace'.



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).