- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
Mr Prichard's building was surveyed during George Bailey's third site visit to Bristol on 13 October 1826 (Day Books, p. 271). The premises backed onto the Maryport churchyard (also known as St Mary-le-Port), the ruins of which have survived following the blitz of Bristol in November 1940, although Mr Prichard's shop has not.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Survey drawings of Mr Prichard's premises, High Street (3)
- Survey drawing of the ground floor
- Survey drawing of the first floor
- Survey drawing of the front elevation