(1-4) bar scales of 1/6 inch to 1 foot
1 as above, Coal Vaults &c , Area and 8'. 7" high
2 as above, Shop / 12 feet high, area (twice), Paved Yard, Street 11 ft wide, some dimensions given, (pencil) Leeds and Warehouses &c
3 as above, some dimensions given and (pencil) Store Room / &c
4 as above and 43.0 [feet]
5 These Premises which are well situate for business / consist of a plot of Ground containing about 326 / Square Yards of which nearly 224 Yards are / covered with Buildings 4 Stories high (including / a lofty Basement which extends over the whole area of the Ground) with a frontage next / Commercial Street of nearly 43 Feet. // The Buildings, which are stated to have been / erected within 6 Years, are of a substantial / description - the front has a respectable / appearance and the several Stories are lofty / and well lighted // The dimensions of the several Rooms will / be seen by an inspection of the accompanying / Sketches. // The Premises are stated to be Freehold / for which the sum of £4500 is asked. // A part of the Premises is occupied by the / Proprietor, the remainder (over which there is / a red tint) consisting of a part of the / Basement / (verso) Basement, Ground Floor and One Pair Floor / is Let, but the present occupiers tenancy / expires in June next and it is expected / that he would be willing to quit very shortly / upon receiving some compensation for so doing.
Signed and dated
- (1) 2d Jany 1827 (2) 1 Jany 1827 (3) 2d Jany 1827 (4) Leeds 30th Decr 1826 (5) Surveyors Office / Bank of England / 2d Jany 1827
Medium and dimensions
(1) Pen, burnt umber, warm sepia, pink and blue washes, pricked for transfer within single ruled pencil border on stout wove paper (523 x 357) (2) pen, burnt umber, warm sepia, pink and blue washes, pricked for transfer within double ruled pen border (522 x 360) (3) pen, pink, burnt umber and blue washes, pricked for transfer within double ruled pen border on stout wove paper (525 x 363) (4) pen, burnt umber, blue and warm sepia washes, partly pricked for transfer within double ruled pen border (529 x 360) (5) brown pen on laid secretary paper with seven folds (321 x 480)
(1-5) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant, 1806-37, curator 1837-60)
(1-2, 4) Smith & Allnutt 1823
The site is 70 feet from front to back and with a frontage of 42½ feet. The property consists of two shops in a three-storey, three-bay building with, on the ground floor, three shop windows and two doors. The left-hand shop is two bays wide while the other is three bays wide. The front is symmetrical with a first floor window in the centre that is 'tripartite with a broad central opening, containing a large pair of sashes, flanked on either side by a smaller one, the whole beneath a segmental [blind] arch. Invented in about 1780 by James Wyatt.' (J.Lever and J.Harris, Illustrated dictionary of architecture 800-1914, 1993.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation