- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- (1-2) 1st Feby 1828
The plans are dated 1 February 1828 although the Branch opened in December 1827. The plans of the 'premises in their present state' show that the double-walled strong room was already finished, in addition to the banking room with counter, the agents room and the waiting room. The additions and alterations, shown in pink wash, are fairly minor but hint at the conversion of the basement story to domestic accommodation for the 'agent' or bank manager. These constitute to the rear of the property a new enclosure, and an extension to house the laundry and servants' privies, topped with a flat roof; an 'arche to carry [the] flue' in the scullery; two water butts and new paving in the garden; and on the second floor a new wall to enclose a water closet, an air tube and three closets.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).