- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
In June 1790 the Darell family assigned their lease of the property to speculator Thomas Holloway, who in turn sub-let the land to the theatre's proprietor William Taylor in August 1790. This acquisition coincided with the rebuilding of the entire theatre, after a fire devastated the structure in 1789. The new theatre was built to a larger size to include this property adjoining its south end. Drawings 2 to 5 show the houses largely intact and converted to private rooms located behind the stage, such as a tea room and a painted room, and including a special entrance for the King (marked KD on drawing 2) fronting Market Lane.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).