Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Survey drawing and record drawings showing the site's original buildings, one dated 1790 (3)

Browse

top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (1) 33/1/1 (2) volume 66/55 (3) volume 66/56
image Image 2 for SM (1) 33/1/1 (2) volume 66/55 (3) volume 66/56
  • image Image 1 for SM (1) 33/1/1 (2) volume 66/55 (3) volume 66/56
  • image Image 2 for SM (1) 33/1/1 (2) volume 66/55 (3) volume 66/56

Reference number

SM (1) 33/1/1 (2) volume 66/55 (3) volume 66/56

Purpose

Survey drawing and record drawings showing the site's original buildings, one dated 1790 (3)

Aspect

1 Elevation towards the Street and part-section 2 Ground floor plan 3 First floor plan

Scale

(1-3) bar scale of 1/8 inch to 1 foot

Inscribed

1 as above, The Marquiss of Buckingham, Pallmall, line of Pavement / of Street, Pavement of area, A, line of Pavement of Street, Floor of Front A 3½ inches higher / than B and dimensions given; (verso, sheet trimmed) Marqs Buckingham / Elevation of Front to old House / Pall Mall, (pencil) Marqs Buckingham / Albion Place 2 (pencil) The Marquis of Buckingham, Pallmall 1790, plan labelled (upper case): Cistern, Hall, Steward's Room, Best Eating Room, Anti-Room, 14'11" / To top of / of floor, School Room, Secretary's Room, Dressing Room, Court, Gallery, Lobby, Library, Eating Room, and dimensions given 3 (upper case) The Marquis of Buckingham / Plan of One Pair Floor, Front Drawing Room, The old Front / Drawing Room, Middle Drawing Room, Ladies Library, Bed Room, Dressing Room, Court, Passage, The Back Drawing Room and dimensions given

Signed and dated

(1) Albion Place March 15 1790 (2) datable to after 1792

Medium and dimensions

(1) Pencil, pen and wash on laid paper with three fold marks (521 x 360) (2-3) pen and wash, pencil, within quadruple-ruled pink and black wash border on wove paper (495 x 702, 495 x 702)

Hand

(1) attributed to John Sanders (1768-1826, pupil 1784-October 1790) (2-3) Soane office

Watermark

(1) fleur-de-lis within crowned cartouche and ornate W below

Notes

In 1779, George Nugent Temple Grenville (1753-1813), later first Marquess of Buckingham, inherited Buckingham House from his uncle, Richard Grenville 2nd Earl Temple, in 1779. In 1781 he purchased the adjoining property to the east, where his younger brother, Thomas Grenville (1755-1846), lived for two years. In 1783, the house's lease was renewed by the Crown and the Marquess employed the architect Robert Furze Brettingham (c.1750-1820) to consolidate the two properties into one house. Drawings 2 and 3 show the properties after a set of very light alterations have already been made (probably by Brettingham), with limited communication between the east and west buildings. Most notable is the single front entrance; the east house would have originally had its own front entrance.

Drawings 2 and 3 are record drawings of the ground and first floors before Soane's alterations. They are bound in a volume with drawings 36 to 42, which show the house as built by Soane after 1795.

The east building is a simple three-bay structure with three rooms on both floors. On both floors, a large room for entertaining fronts the street and two private rooms face the back. A principal staircase and common stair occupy the window-less area at the centre of the plan. Interestingly, the ground floor is shown with a 'school room' and a 'secretary's room'.

The five-bay west building is the London town house inherited by Lord Buckingham. The building is arranged around a central court, with rooms for entertaining added at the back. The house had belonged to Thomas Pitt (1653-1726) from 1710 to 1726 (Survey of London).

Literature

Survey of London, vol.s XXIX and XXX, 1960, p. 360.

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).