- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
The arch above the portico is probably set some way back, on the line of the west wall of the portico, beneath the dome at the crossing of the church (an arch is shown sketched in graphite in this position on the plan, [8/1]).
The instruction to Draw this hole front may have been intended for John James, who was responsible for two of the plans of the dome and peristyle [8/5 and 6]. No complete west elevation of this scheme survives.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).