- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
The front elevation has a pedimented door and glazing within a round-headed recessed panel. The back of the lodge is wider than the front, measuring 21 feet 9 inches. It has simple windows and a round-headed door.
As noted on the drawing, the building is to be constructed of flint with brick quoins, window jambs and chimney. The hipped roof is to be covered in pantiles.
Soane first visited Payne Galwey at Tofts on 26 March 1786 (Soane Journal No 1). Drawings for a keeper's lodge were sent to the client on 24 April 1786. Soane charged Payne Galwey £6 6s 0d for his drawings of the lodge, and £2 12s 6d for a 'book of architecture' (Ledger A). It is unknown whether the lodge was built to Soane's designs.
Tofts was demolished in the 1950s.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).