- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
Charles Robert Cockerell altered the attic in 1858, to fortify the Bank during the Chartist Riots. The attic was raised and a new balustrade was added, with a patrol rampart and firing platforms (Abramson).
The east front of the Bank is shown in drawings 33, 34 and 36. Eight columns are flanked by large blank windows and blind Tivoli windows. Each large blank window is framed by pilasters. Rather than the design shown, the built attic had the same design as the south front.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).