- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- (1) Lincolns Inn Fields / May 1823 (2) Lincolns Inn Fields / May 1823
The elevation of the Threadneedle Street front in drawing 2 was probably made in 1825 and pasted to the 1823 presentation drawing. It probably accompanied Soane's presentation to the Building Committee in February 1825. Soane had intended to retain George Sampson's Entrance Building but in 1825 he found the façade in a poorer state than expected, necessitating either a refacing or complete reconstruction. In February 1825 alternative models were presented to the Building Committee and members of the Court of Directors, and after several revisions the designs were approved.
The 1823 drawings are similar to designs made between 1814 and 1818 (see scheme 4:2). Drawings 1 and 2 show alternative designs for the attic on Threadneedle Street and Bartholomew Lane.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).