- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- (3) Lincolns Inn Fields / Jany 19th 1805 (4) Lincolns Inn Fields / Jany 21st 1805 (5) Lincolns Inn Fields / Jany 19th 1805
The Pay Hall basement has eight piers in the centre of the rectangular room. The segment of wall in the middle of the room encloses the flue for the Pay Hall stove. A corridor to the east (right-hand side of drawing) connects the room with the Bullion Office and other vaults.
The Committee Room basement has four piers in the centre of the elongated octagonal room. A window on the south wall (right-hand side of drawing) overlooks an area in the Garden Court.
The Court Room has six piers in the centre of the room. Three windows on the south wall overlook the sunken area in the Garden Court.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).