Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Site record drawings, 14-20 May 1818 (4)
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
image Image 2 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
image Image 3 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
image Image 4 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
  • image Image 1 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
  • image Image 2 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
  • image Image 3 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25
  • image Image 4 for SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25

Reference number

SM (52) volume 47/22 (53) volume 47/28 (54) volume 47/27 (55) volume 47/25

Purpose

Site record drawings, 14-20 May 1818 (4)

Aspect

52 A section of one of the main centering arches, a view of the double / pieces at A and some construction details 53 Elevation of the springing point between two of the main hall arches 54 Elevation showing a longitudinal side-aisle centering, masonry and its springing point 55 Perspective of the construction of the longitudinal main double arches over the side aisles

Inscribed

52 as above, (pencil) double (four times), one piece, B this piece only stops against C & D, Section this 37. to a larger scale and some dimensions given 53-54 some (pencil) dimensions given

Signed and dated

(52) (pencil) May 14th. 1818 (53-54) (pencil) May 20th. 1818 (see notes)

Hand

Soane office

Notes

Drawings 52 to 55 all show the centering and masonry for four arches situated one on each side of the central bay (each side of the ring-beam supporting the central lantern). The longitudinal pairs of arches (framing the side-aisle bays) continue either end: one bordering the wall, one the centre (see drawing 84 for the effect in perspective).

Drawings 53 and 54 both show the same springing point for the centre arch (drawing 53 shows the detail and drawing 54 shows it as part of the wider elevation). As the adjoining arch must span a space at a right angle to the former, the springing point is shown with three plains - flat at the front and angled either side of pier to turn into the arch on the other side of the square (the springing point in fact accommodates three arches, the third spanning the width of the end bay).

Drawing 55 shows one side of the square with its double arch centering in place. To the left is a ready made wooden centering arch with struts, presumably ready to be winched up into place in order to have the stonework constructed around it.

Given the 1818 date of drawings 52 to 54, this set of drawings is most probably for the later south-east Transfer Office, though they may have been re-used for the later south Transfer Office (as the two hall designs were nearly identical).

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).