Signed and dated
J.M. Gandy (1771-1843)
The finished attic consists of a pediment raised on an ornamented plinth over a lower attic stage that consists of five bays separated by panelled pilasters. A window in the centre bay opens into the attic, presumably to shed light into the attic that is a continuation of the rampart walk. Urns surmount the blocking course on both ends of the attic and a frieze ornamented with ox-heads and festoons runs along the entire front. An iron railing connects the pedestals of the socle and encloses the north-west corner.
The screen wall is shown with figurative sculptures in the blind windows, a feature that was not included in the built design, indicating that the drawing was clearly made before construction was complete.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural,
design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for
scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to
preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and
it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance
masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries
and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and
George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings
in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early
work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of
his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of
Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and
fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing