Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Design for alterations, and survey drawing, 1807 and 17 July 1814 (2)


  • image Image 1 for SM (144) 66/5/10 (145) 66/5/11
  • image Image 2 for SM (144) 66/5/10 (145) 66/5/11
  • image Image 1 for SM (144) 66/5/10 (145) 66/5/11
  • image Image 2 for SM (144) 66/5/10 (145) 66/5/11

Reference number

SM (144) 66/5/10 (145) 66/5/11


Design for alterations, and survey drawing, 1807 and 17 July 1814 (2)


144 Plan of the House occupied by the Clerk of the Works-, Chelsea Hospital (ground floor) 145 Plan of the House appropriated to the Clerk of the Works, Chelsea Hospital (ground floor)


(144-145) bar scale


144 as above, labelled Drawing Room, Library, Store Room, Dining Room and some (pencil) dimensions given (verso) Clerk of Works / House at Chelsea 145 as above, labelled Paradise Row, Breakfast / room, Stable Yard, House, Study, Court, Staircase, Bed / room, Stable. Harness / room, Coachouse, Eating Room, Drawing room, (red pen) wind[ow] (three times), Wall, Ch[imne]y, office / Study, new Ent[rance] and some dimensions given

Signed and dated

  • (144) 1807 (145) 17th July 1814


Soane office


The first of these plans shows Soane's improvements to the Clerk of Works' House, carried out in 1807, before the construction of the Infirmary and Stables prompted any major new works. Thus the improvements are restricted to those indicated by pink wash and pencil additions - curved interior walls to the Drawing Room and a staircase in place of a store room, respectively. The plan shows the northern portion of the house, which is oriented so that the entrance, drawing room, dining room and library all face on to Paradise Row (to the north).

Drawing 145 is dated seven years later than the former drawing and largely shows the house prior to Soane's alterations of 1814-15. However, an extra room has been added in red pen, projecting from the right-angle of the existing L-shaped layout of rooms and labelled as 'office'. There is also a 'new Ent[rance]' labelled, presumably added by Soane. It is evident from the plan, viewed alongside the elevation shown in drawing 125, that private stables were attached to the house at this time - built to the right of the main house. Soane was to add his new wing on to this west side of the building, demolishing the row of 'Coachouse', 'Harness room' and 'Stable'. Perhaps the Clerk of Works' horses were housed in the main stables from then on. The old hospital Stables (although not seen on this plan) would have extended along Paradise Row to the east of the Clerk of Works' House (see drawing 125). The plan of the house is easily located, with the Infirmary (labelled) to the south and Paradise Row, to the north.



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).