- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
The external elevation (drawing 133) shows quadruple giant blind arches, stepped one within the other. Within these blind arches are two double doors (one on each side of the main entrance arch). Although not obvious from the elevation, the doors (with elongated arched windows above) are in evidence today and form the only entrance on to the stairs either side of the main entrance (visible in plan 129).
Drawing 134 is a rough view of the east side exterior, as well as the two pavillions with hip-roofs to the north and south. The drawing also shows an upper window on the south-facing wall of the exterior of the east side.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).