(51) bar scale
46 View of a Design for the "Lothbury Court"
47 The Lothbury Court Bank of England
50 View of a Design for the 'Lothbury Court'
51 (upper case) The Stock Office
Signed and dated
(46) May 15th 1798 (48) Bank Octr. 12th 1798 (50) The Bank May 2d 1798
(42-47, 49-51) Soane office (48) Joseph Michael Gandy (1771-1843, assistant in Soane office 1798-1801)
(46) J Whatman 1794 (48) Buttanshaw 1794 (50) J Whatman 1794
The Bullion Arch is a semicircular-headed entrance framed by single pilasters and single Corinthian columns raised behind lion statues on cylindrical plinths. The Arch occupies a third of the south face of the Court, reserving ample room for the semicircular-headed windows on either side. To the west and east sides of the Court are tetrastyle 'porticos', with the west wall forming a screen between the Court and the adjacent Residence Court. Its socle is sunken a few steps from the main level of the Court; drawings 43 to 50 show variant designs for passing through the socle. The east wall has a portico screening an apsidal vestibule. The design for the stair ascending to the east is varied in drawings 43 to 51.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural,
design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for
scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to
preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and
it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance
masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries
and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and
George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings
in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early
work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of
his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of
Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and
fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing